Ex-practitioner denounces Christian Science
The Christian Way Forums
 Home          Members     Calendar     Who's On

Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

Ex-practitioner denounces Christian Science Expand / Collapse
Posted Thursday, April 01, 2010 6:32 PM Post #17901
Folks:

A friend alerted to Mario Tosto's blog post knocking Christian Science, a church he belonged to for more than 30 years. Apparently he's an atheist now.

An excerpt:

... "The fact is that if public health had been left up to the teachings of Christian Science and those who seriously practice it, we would be a third or fourth world nation today. For instance, bad water, a major source of disease, would never have been purified because microbes are considered by Christian Scientists to be illusions. (Besides, right thinking of this sort would make everyone invulnerable to any suggestion of infection.)"

Link: http://mt_space.blogspot.com/2010/03/so-your-uncle.html
Posted Thursday, April 01, 2010 7:04 PM Post #17902
... "The fact is that if public health had been left up to the teachings of Christian Science and those who seriously practice it, we would be a third or fourth world nation today. For instance, bad water, a major source of disease, would never have been purified because microbes are considered by Christian Scientists to be illusions. (Besides, right thinking of this sort would make everyone invulnerable to any suggestion of infection.)"

Actually, germs are God's creation too so they could do know harm, thus purification wouldn't be necessary!
Posted Friday, April 02, 2010 4:20 AM Post #17903
CS friend maintains that there are no such thing as germs. When her daughter was younger, she got up in class and told everyone the same, would have loved to see the look on teacher's face.

Jan
Posted Thursday, March 07, 2013 10:29 PM Post #20940

OldtimerOldtimerOldtimerOldtimerOldtimerOldtimerOldtimerOldtimer
But Fluoride - widely credited by dentists to reduce tooth decay - was bitterly opposed as an additive to public water supplies by Christian Scientists back in the '50s.

Wouldn't it have been part of "...Infinite Mind and its infinite manifestation"?
Posted Friday, March 08, 2013 6:47 PM Post #20947

OldtimerOldtimerOldtimerOldtimerOldtimerOldtimerOldtimerOldtimer
I remember my parents discussing that in intense terms. (Yes, I'm that old.)

They called it "involuntary medicalization" or something like that. Maybe we should add that to thread, "Archaic, ostentatious, and polysyllabic nomenclature in Christian Science." And yes--I had fun with the thesaurus when putting that title together!

[url=http://www.christianway.org/forums/Topic19556-15-1.aspx?Highlight=archaic][/url]
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

All times are GMT -7:00, Time now is 9:30am