CS Celebrities: Where are they now?
The Christian Way Forums
 Home          Members     Calendar     Who's On

Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

CS Celebrities: Where are they now? Expand / Collapse
Posted Tuesday, June 12, 2012 5:19 PM Post #20278

Forum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum Member
Does anyone know about the current crop of CS celebrities?

Brad's post about Doris Day attending Annual Meeting (back in the 60s) made me think of it.

Is Robert Duvall still in CS? Bruce Hornsby? Richard Bach (author of Jonathan Livingston Seagull)?

Tommy Vardell (football player).

I know I'm forgetting a few people...

And what about the politicians? Did I read somewhere that Christopher Shays renounced his religious beliefs?

Thanks!

Posted Tuesday, June 12, 2012 8:09 PM Post #20279

Junior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior Member
Pud Muddle:

Jean Stapleton (All in the Family) is a CSer, and one who was the butt of a couple jokes on the show. On one episode Archie comes home to a quiet house and says, "What's this, a Christian Science Reading Room?"

The other episode was titled "The Riddle." Fast forward to the 5:50 mark where Gloria tells a riddle and Archie takes a swipe at CS:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVBVSpuF-hQ

Stapleton was very funny on that show.

Regarding Robert Duvall, I've heard conflicting stories: 1) that he's no longer in CS and has nothing to do with it (he returned to Principia College, his alma mater a few years ago after staying away for decades); and 2) that he's still in CS but doesn't talk about it. If anyone has more info, please post.

Last I heard, Mr. Shays was not identifying himself as a CSer.

Wish I could be more helpful.

Keep the faith!
Posted Wednesday, June 13, 2012 8:21 AM Post #20281
There is an interview with Robert Duvall in the December 2008 in which he clearly states his belief in Christian Science.
Posted Wednesday, June 13, 2012 8:53 AM Post #20282
I wrote that the interview with Duvall is in the December 2008 Christian Science Journal and italicized "Christian Science Journal." But for some reason the words "Christian Science Journal" did not show up in what was posted.
Posted Wednesday, June 13, 2012 11:37 AM Post #20284

OldtimerOldtimerOldtimerOldtimerOldtimerOldtimerOldtimerOldtimer
As far as I know, Peter Horton (played Gary in thirtysomething), who was at the college when I was, is still practicing. Somewhat ironically, he has directed many episodes of Gray's Anatomy.
Posted Friday, June 15, 2012 5:23 PM Post #20285
When I attended TMC Georgette Engel was my S.S. teacher in 1979. I think she might still be a member. Also I recall hearing from a friend that society writer Cindy Adams in New York almost died by not going to a Doctor because of her C.S. beliefs a year ago or so. I understood she finally did and lived. In addition 1950's early 60's bombshell SHERI NORTH passed 5 or so years ago and supposedly was not going to Doctors because of C.S. I have heard this from screen writer (BLANK ) Who wrote The Birdcage , Heaven Can Wait, Tootsie, E.T.C.

I
Posted Thursday, February 27, 2014 10:54 AM Post #23260
Several years ago, Georgia Engel, as a member of the Motion Picture Academy of America,was invited to screen the motion picture, "No Country for Old Men" (I hope I've got the title at least close enough; it was the award-winner with Josh Brolin) as part of the annual awards voting. Anyway, she got up and walked out, as did some other academy members, because of the violence. This point is, is that she related her reaction in the context of her active church membership. This article either appeared in one of the CS magazines or Monitor.
Posted Thursday, February 27, 2014 2:07 PM Post #23263
I remember seeing Shannon Miller (Olympic gymnast) on the cover of the , I think, back in the early 2000s. There was an interview or something with her and she was a student of Christian Science.
Posted Thursday, February 27, 2014 3:32 PM Post #23264

Hrm. Just like another Guest above did I italicized Sentinel and it seems to have disappeared. Glitch?
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

All times are GMT -7:00, Time now is 9:18am