CS and Mensa
The Christian Way Forums
 Home          Members     Calendar     Who's On

Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

12»»

CS and Mensa Expand / Collapse
Posted Thursday, April 18, 2013 3:13 PM Post #21255
Does anyone know if Mensans are more likely or less likely to be CSists?

Mensans are 2% of the population.

However, according the Pew Forum on Major Religious Traditions in the U.S. CSists would seem to fall into the 0.3% "Other Christian" category.

See:

http://religions.pewforum.org/reports

So denominations such as the Mormons and Jehovah's Witnesses are significant enough for the own listings.

But CSists are relegated to a "catch-all" category?

Posted Thursday, April 18, 2013 3:45 PM Post #21258

Co-ModeratorCo-ModeratorCo-ModeratorCo-ModeratorCo-ModeratorCo-ModeratorCo-ModeratorCo-Moderator
Interesting thought.

I've never known a Christian Scientist who was in Mensa. I knew one who qualified, but declined membership.

Do Go Be Man
<><
Posted Monday, February 03, 2014 5:10 PM Post #23062
well, i've been a lifelong cs (even though I left the MC 20 years ago) and have been a member of mensa for 6 years

PCT
Posted Tuesday, February 04, 2014 9:06 AM Post #23067

Forum ExpertForum ExpertForum ExpertForum ExpertForum ExpertForum ExpertForum ExpertForum Expert
I am a member of Mensa, and still officially a member of TMC although I am no longer a Christian Scientist.

One of these days I'll get around to ending my membership. :/ My dedication sort of slowly waned over time, and I can't really pinpoint an exact time when I went from calling myself a CSist to not. It was a very gradual departure in my case.

Anyway, my mom, who was a devoted CSist for the rest of her life after she got into it, was highly intelligent though not a member of Mensa. I don't know if she would have qualified or not; she never tried to.

Most of the CSists I've known seemed pretty intelligent, as far as classic intelligence (as measured by IQ tests) goes. I would say that most of the ones I've known personally would rank above average, on the whole (with a few exceptions, of course). This says little-to-nothing about emotional/mental health, which is a whole 'nother topic! Although, frankly, non-CS Mensans can also be a little nuts!
Posted Tuesday, February 04, 2014 9:56 AM Post #23071

OldtimerOldtimerOldtimerOldtimerOldtimerOldtimerOldtimerOldtimer
Well, I'm a Mensan. Joined in '77, about the same time I escaped CS.

Geniuses can be eccentric. For example, Nikola Tesla invented the polyphasic transmission of alternating current (while Thomas Edison wouldn't budge from direct current - which would require powerplants every few miles due to line losses).

Tesla never married, spurned women who tried to date him, believed celibacy improved the function of his brain, was certain that he was in contact with extraterrestials, and later in life.....fell in love with a pigeon.

But I've never attended a Mensa meeting where topics such as necromancy and animal magnetism were ever brought up......

(Though throwing a conversational gambit into the pool at a Mensa meeting as to "Is the Universe, including Man, governed by Atomic Force" would be worth the resultant splash!)
Posted Tuesday, February 04, 2014 10:47 AM Post #23076

Forum ExpertForum ExpertForum ExpertForum ExpertForum ExpertForum ExpertForum ExpertForum Expert
I never knew that about Tesla -- very interesting! Did the pigeon return his affection?

I am reminded of the anecdote that most of us have probably heard about how Einstein was very impressed with CS. The version I heard was that he didn't officially join because he couldn't give up his cigars. Don't really know how true that is, but of course when I was a CSist I ate it up. You know, if Einstein believes in it, then that just proves it's the truth! (Of course, Einstein didn't believe in quantum mechanics, so....)
Posted Tuesday, February 04, 2014 2:15 PM Post #23085

MemberMemberMemberMemberMemberMemberMemberMember
Caroline Fraser points out in her book (p. 418) that the assertion (repeated by Robert Peel) that Einstein had an interest in Christian Science has no documented source. It may well be spurious. Who knows, maybe the grand old man walked into a reading room or church in Princeton out of curiosity, and the CSers there magnified that into the notion that Einstein validates Christian Science.
Posted Tuesday, February 04, 2014 8:37 PM Post #23087
From the Mary Baker Eddy Library's website (http://www.marybakereddylibrary.org/research/einstein):

"Much of the evidence of Einstein’s interest in Christian Science has proven unreliable or based on sources that can’t be verified. However, there is certainly evidence to suggest that Einstein had some interest in Christian Science.

"In the early 1950s Einstein attended a Wednesday noonday meeting at Fifth Church of Christ, Scientist, New York City. After the service he was greeted by George Nay, then a member of The Christian Science Board of Lectureship. During their conversation, Nay later recalled that Einstein said, "Do you people realize what a wonderful thing you have?"3 According to various eyewitnesses, Einstein also attended several Wednesday evening meetings of the Christian Science church in Princeton, New Jersey, his home from the 1930s until his death in 1955. There is an account of this in The Mary Baker Eddy Library archives by Mary Spaulding. She states that Einstein, in regards to Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures, said, "...to think that a woman knew this over eighty years ago."4 Spaulding also stated that Einstein is reported to have visited the Reading Room in Princeton on a number of occasions.

"Based on information provided to the Archives and Library Department in 1970 from the New Jersey Committee on Publication, Helen Dukas (Einstein’s secretary from 1928 until his passing in 1955) was contacted regarding his relationship with Christian Science. She stated that so far as she knew, Einstein knew nothing about Christian Science, had no interest in it, expressed no opinion about it, and made no reference to it in his papers."

And from the summary at the end of a scholarly paper (the MBE Library's article provides a link to it), written by William Cooper, Professor Emeritus of the School of Information at the University of California, Berkeley (https://docs.google.com/document/pub?id=1SePVIC-mFMAGJtzElow5B8K-Wbe9bKo4cj5h3XZLoG8):

"At times Einstein expressed some notions that would be hard to reconcile with Eddy’s metaphysics. For example, some interview material suggests that, at a younger age at least, he believed sensation to reside in matter, contrary to her teaching.[39] His understanding of her writings could have been idiosyncratic, his agreement with them might have been only partial, and his generous comments about them in conversation have to be considered in the light of his natural politeness. Nevertheless Eddy’s metaphysical system stands in general sympathy with his stated reservations about popular religious thought, concerns itself with the derivative character of matter, and shares some ground with some of his favorite philosophers. At a minimum, we may conclude that for him it came closer than more traditional Judeo-Christian creeds to his expressed ideal of a ‘cosmic religion’. To that extent at least his special interest in it is explainable, and future historians might well ponder its significance."
Posted Wednesday, February 05, 2014 6:26 PM Post #23096
Didn't he walk into an open manhole at Princeton as well?
Posted Thursday, February 06, 2014 1:29 PM Post #23105
I know two individuals with an almost 20 point tested IQ differential. The "less smart" one is far more popular, with better interpersonal skills. And, just as important, the "less smart" one has a far greater common sense. I would argue that quite a few "smart" CSers are lacking in interpersonal skills and common sense. Lack of common sense allows one to be duped by the CS cult. Being smart, in the MENSA or tested IQ sense, alone doesn't lead to great life decisions.

Watching from the sidelines
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

12»»

All times are GMT -7:00, Time now is 12:11pm